Today is the day that we find out whether this draft is going to be a whirl-winding first round, or if Matt Stafford will accept the Lions offer and become yet another “franchise” quarterback taken by the Lions. There is no afternoon games today in Major League Baseball (Is that legal?)
Clap your hands though, Because do we got some news for you!
– Catcrave.com’s John White has a great episode of Cat Crave Radio featuring Mel Kiper, Herm Edwards and Todd McShay. It’s a great listen on this wonderful pre draft friday! John got to know what it’s like to be “Mr Irrelevant.” Check it out, it’s a must listen (By the way John, You’d be a starter in my book, whether your the last pick or the first!).
– Are the Broncos really interested in Mark Sanchez? I believe so, but that still hasn’t stopped them from contacting the Bills about quarterback J.P. Losman. According to an NFL.com Report, the Panthers have been in contact as well, despite locking down Jake the snake for five more years. This could be an interesting fit. I don’t know why you would do this. Losman doesn’t seem like a franchise quarterback, and you already have two stopgap quarterbacks in Kyle Orton and Chris Simms.
– In the Lions number one hunt, Linebacker Aaron Curry told Fox Sports that in his heart, he thinks the Lions will select Matt Stafford on Saturday, and that they will get the deal done. As a Lion fan (insert joke, laugh, insult here) I am holding on to hope that somehow Curry is the selection over Stafford. By four this afternoon, I am 90% sure my heart will be crushed.
– Boldin to the Titans? This is a pretty interesting. It would move a run happy, possession team to a more explosive offensive, with the likes of Nate Washington. The Titans were targeting Torry Holt, and with the 30th pick in the draft, it will be hard for the Titans to target a top receiver in the first round of the draft.
– Seattle sits in a pretty interesting situation. Looking to take one of the top tackles, They could have an option to move down, If someone really has an extreme interest in Mark Sanchez, this is where things could get interesting. If Washington or Denver wants to move up, and the Seahawks are willing to take a shot on a Micheal Oher or Andre Smith, then they could trade down. It could be the first team to do so in teh 2009 Draft.
– According to sources, Pedro Martinez is close to signing with his next team. Martinez, who is asking for five million, is open to rebuilding and contending teams, but it seems both LA squads have the best shot of signing the veteran reliever. I still think he would fit well in the bullpen as a setup type reliever (Hey, it works well in MLB 2K9!). If he goes to a solid team, he could still have some fantasy value.
– Toronto Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan has finally landed onto the D.L. After a month of acting like nothing is wrong with Ryan’s arm, his shoulder muscle has finally landed him off the roster. I really think this is a way to build up some arm strength and look at the elbow to make sure it is okay. Scott Downs will be holding down the saves. Pick up Downs if you can, especially with the current Toronto winning percentage.
– Ricky Romero of the Blue Jays is also heading to the Disabled List. You never like to see this happen to one of your top prospects. It is just an oblique strain but he was off to a 2-0 start and had looked un-hittable in spirts so far this season. A roster move will be made before Saturday’s game.
– Lineup Changes are already taking place in the Windy City. Ryan Theriot will move into the leadoff spot with Milton Bradley still out of the lineup. Mr. Lou is citing a need for speed up top as the main reasoning for the move. This is really going to help his fantasy value, I would expect to see a few stolen base attempts in the upcoming weekend. Start him if you can.
–Paul Byrd is fielding offers to pitch in 2009. Looking for a future ace? Ok, maybe not but keep your eyes open. Byrd is fitting in the Mark Mulder and Pedro Martinez mold. What we know about Byrd is that he is in great shape, and wants to pitch for a contender. I assume it will take a few weeks for him to develop full strength. I think the Angels are the best fit right now for the veteran.
– Hey you guys in holds leagues, boy do I got some news for you. Flame Throwin’ Guitar Heroin’ Joel Zumaya should be back with the Tigers this weekend, most likely Saturday. Zumaya pitched back to back games for AAA Toledo, striking out two in each inning pitched. Much like his teammate Justin Verlander, the 2006 star has yet to put together a solid campaign. He is surely a guy to watch if the Closer Carousel heats up in Detroit.