CPR’s wrap up of the day’s most useful fantasy news from the diamonds of the Majors.
Hitting Heads Up
- Giants’ outfielder Andres Torres kept up his sharp hitting with three hits in San Francisco’s 4-2 win over Washington Tuesday. Torres is just owned in 3% of Yahoo! leagues, but he has carried a plus-.300 average throughout May while playing in 20 games. Torres has also added eight runs, two homers, eight RBIs, and four steals this month. Not a bad combination for the lightly-owned outfielder.
- Jose Bautista hit yet another homer for the Blue Jays Tuesday in Toronto’s 8-3 loss to the Angels. Bautista now has a whopping 15 longballs on the season, including eight in his last 11 contests. There isn’t any guarantee the power surge will last with Bautista, but while it does owners in 73% of Yahoo! leagues are taking advantage.
- Vladimir Guerrero kept up his torrid hitting pace, slamming two homers on Tuesday and throwing in a double for good measure. it was nice to see the veteran slugger leading the AL All-Star voting for designated hitters after the first batch of numbers were released recently. Guerrero deserves to make it to the game at his old ballpark in Anaheim this summer.
- Bad news for owners in deep leagues who had patiently waited for Coco Crisp to come off the DL from a broken finger. Word out of Oakland is the versatile outfielder could be going right back on the list with a sore side muscle. Gabe Gross started in place of Crisp Tuesday and made the most of the start, going 3-for-3 with two doubles in the contest.
- Milton Bradley hit his first homerun since returning to the Mariners with a solo shot in the first inning off Justin Verlander.
- Rockies’ rookie pitching prospect Jhoulys Chacin collected his third win of the season with a solid six innings of work against Arizona. The young Rockie allowed just four hits and two runs in the outing after losing his last two decisions. Good to see Chacin bounce back from a few rough starts.
- Jon Garland threw seven shutout innings against the Cards, allowing just six hits and striking out seven St. Louis batters. The win moves Garland to a surprising 6-2 on the season. The veteran righty has never had overpowing stuff, but given the right conditions and home backdrop (Petco) he has proven to be a solid start on several occasions this season. At just 50% ownership in Yahoo! leagues, he can still be acquired for spot starts in shallower leagues or outright ownership in medium fields.
- Octavio Dotel (10) notched his tenth save of the season with a one-hit ninth to close out the Reds 2-1. After a rough early-season start, Dotel has closed out each of his last seven save opportunities. At just 55% ownership in Yahoo! leagues, he could help out your save chase going forward.
- Manuel Corpas (4) nailed down a save in the Rockies’ 3-2 win over Arizona Tuesday… The Cardinals made Heath Bell (13) throw 27 pitches in the ninth, but in the end the Padre closer sealed the deal for the save… Brian Wilson (11) struck out the side in dominating fashion to close out the Nationals… David Aardsma (10) struck out one Tiger in an inning of work as the Mariners closed out Detroit 5-3… Neftali Feliz (13) walked one, but successfully closed out Kansas City to preserve the Rangers’ 8-7 win… Carlos Marmol (10) joined the double-digits save club with two strikeouts in the ninth to finish off the Dodgers… Jonathan Papelbon (11) completed the Boston one-hitter that Jon Lester started against the Rays Tuesday with a solid ninth for the save… And Raul Valdes got a rogue three-inning save Tuesday, throwing three scoreless frames as the Mets blanked the Phillies 8-0. An unusual save to be sure, but it still counts.
Tags: Andres Torres Brian Wilson Carlos Marmol Coco Crisp David Aardsma Fantasy Baseball Fantasy CPR Gabe Gross Heath Bell Jhoulys Chacin Jon Garland Jon Lester Jonathan Papelbon Jose Bautista Justin Verlander Manuel Corpas Milton Bradley Neftali Feliz Octavio Dotel Raul Valdes Vladimir Guerrero