The playoff picture in the AFC remains up in the air, but in the NFC we already know who the teams are with one exception. There’s still plenty to play for though in the final week of the season for some teams. Here’s where they stand heading into week 17:
1. Packers: Green Bay has the #1 seed and home field entirely secure before Detroit comes to town. It’s a divisional game, but you have to wonder how much the Packers starters will play in this one.
2. 49ers: If the Niners win at St. Louis on Sunday they’ll be the #2 seed and be ready to host a playoff game after a first round bye.
3. Saints: The Saints clinched the NFC South by winning last night and will host the Falcons again next week. If they win and the 49ers lose they can move up to #2, but that seems unlikely.
4. Giants: The G-men still control their own destiny after trouncing the Jets last week. They now welcome their familiar foe the Cowboys in a win-and-your-in game for the NFC East.
5. Lions: If Detroit wins Sunday in Lambeau Field, the Lions will travel to play whoever wins the Dallas-New York game in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. If they lose and the Falcons win, the Falcons win the tie-breaker due to their head-to-head victory and the Lions could fall to 6 and have to travel to New Orleans of San Francisco (whoever is the 3) in the Wild Card Round.
6. Falcons: After losing Monday night, the Falcons appear ready to head back to New Orleans to play them for the 3rd time this year. They can still catch the Lions if they win and Detroit loses. In that case, they would be the 5 and head to either New York to face the Giants or Dallas to face the Cowboys.
7. Cowboys: The Cowboys playoffs start early as they head to New York to try and secure the #4 seed and the “privilege” of hosting the red-hot Lions in round one.