Holy cow folks it’s already August! Can you believe it? I know I say this each month, but I feel like we just started. Most leagues begin playoffs right about the first week of September so these next 4 match-ups really are essential to getting that trophy. Although the trade deadline was quite busy, there really weren’t any break out players that I saw who are sure fire adds. This week’s list isn’t as high powered as others have been, but these guys still can make a difference in August and September.
1. Carlos Gomez, MIL OF – The speedster Gomez has shown a ton of pop over the last month and the way this streak is, he is a must add. Outfielders are quite plentiful, but numbers like Gomez has been putting up are clearly starting worthy.
2. Carlos Villanueva, TOR SP – After being rock solid out of the pen for the Jays, Villanueva has made an easy switch to the rotation and has been lights out. The Jays made some trades and don’t seem to be folding on this year, so definitely go grab Carlos.
3. Chris Johnson, ARZ 3B – There was one point last season when Johnson when on an absolute tear and was the top third basemen for a good three sees. Well could this switch to ARizona prompt that? He has already hit 2 bombs with them so far so I would grab hm before he catches fire.
4. Josh Rutledge, COL SS – Tulo who? Rutledge has begun to mke Rockies’ fans forget about their stud SS as he goes out each day dominating. Rutledge has been flying under the radar since getting the starting job, but you need to grab him before people begin to notice. There’s a possibility that Tulo is out all year so Rutledge can definitely be an impact player from here on out.
5. Domonic Brown, PHI OF – A prospect with all the hype in the world, but when he has made it to the bigs, he has had no luck. We’v e heard that story before and Brown has followed that script in his short career. However, he now is fully in line to be an everyday player and should reap the benefits.
6. Zach McAllister, CLE SP – Secretly, McAllister has been one of the best pitchers in the AL Central. He has been Mr. Consistent all year long for the Indians and they still definitely are in the hunt for the division. If they want to make any noise, the Indians need McAllister to keep posting his phenomenal numbers.
7. Brett Anderson, OAK SP – Anderson has shown many blips of promise as an elite starter, but inuries have made that impossible. Anderson seems ton be on his way to Oakland in the net week or so after this rehab assignment, and with the potential he has, I think he’s definitely worth looking out for.
8. Joba Chamberlain, NYY RP – Good ole Joba. It is nice to have him back in baseball after that devastating ankle injury. I’m not sure what his role will be in the Yank’s pen, but he has some electric stuff so I would keep an eye on him as he comes back in pinstripes.
9. Greg Holland, KC RP – Not saying that save opportunities come aplenty in Kansas City, but Broxton did quite well so maybe Holland can follow suit these last two months.
10. Brett Jackson, CHC OF – One of the Cubbies’ top prospects may just get a run with the squad now that Reed Johnson has been traded. Jackson hasn’t had the best year of his career in AAA, but sometimes elite players just figure it out when they get the call. Worth a look for sure.
Hello, Waiver Wire!
I’m throwing out some big names here because this next month means everything for fantasy owners. If injuries are lingering and they can’t produce in August, they are no use to you. Get out those scissors!
Tyler Colvin – COL OF, Alex Rodriguez – NYY 3B (If DL slot isn’t open), Logan Morrison – MIA OF (DL), Adam Lind – TOR 1B (DL), James McDonald – PIT SP, Mark Buehrle – MIA SP, Roy Oswalt – TEX SP, Neftali Feliz – TEX SP (Tommy John)