The Yankees are always a hot topic and are either loved or hated by most baseball fans. There’ isn’t much middle ground. As a hard-core Boston fan, I avoid Yankees on my fantasy teams at all cost since I can’t bring myself to root for them.
To preview the Bronx Bombers’ season and give a more in-depth analysis of what to expect, our Starting 9 series continues today as we hear from the new editor of Fansided’s Yankees site Yanks Go Yard.Starting 9
1. Did your team do a good job this offseason?
The Yankee off-season was a bit tumultuous. They lost a lot of talent in Nick Swisher, Russell Martin and Rafael Soriano. Alex Rodrgiuez is going to miss at least half the season. They added Kevin Youkilis and Travis Hafner, but that may not be good enough offensively.
2. Who is the key player to your team’s success this year?
Robinson Cano and Mark Teixieria are the keys at this point. They are the big power guys and they need to provide offense with Curtis Granderson out for the first month.
3. Who is a position player many people may not know about who is going to have a breakout season?
The Yankees position players are all well known. I would say the guy to watch is Brett Gardner this season. If he’s fully healthy he can provide a lot of speed.
4. What starting pitcher is going to have a surprisingly good season?
I think David Phelps is going to pitch well in his second season in the majors. I think he wins the fifth starter role and has a better year than people think.
5. How does your team’s bullpen look going into this coming year especially at the closer position?
Even with the loss of Soriano, the bullpen should be good. The question is will Mariano Rivera be his normal dominant self. If he is, and a strong bridge to him in David Robertson and Joba Chamberlain, they could have a real good pen.
6. Who do you think is the most “over-rated” player on your team?
From a fantasy perspective, I think Granderson is. He doesn’t steal like he used to and he’s become home run or nothing.
7. Are there any rookies that will impact the team from the beginning of the season or as a midseason call-up?
Melky Mesa could steal the left field job for the first month. If any pitcher gets hurt, Brett Marshall could be the guy.
8. What would be considered a successful season for your team?
It’s the Yankees. It’s World Series or bust.
9. What exciting things do you have coming up on your site this season?
I’ve been the editor for about two weeks. Still getting my feet wet and coming up with ideas. Looking forward to be covering the Yankees all year long.
Special thanks to Jason Evans for helping us out with this preview. Make sure to add the Yankees coverage to your daily FantasyCPR updates if they’re your team, or if you’re signed up for the Yanks Go Yard updates add FantasyCPR under the “extras” section.
Come back throughout the coming weeks for more fantasy baseball previews from the baseball writers across the FanSided network. For our Baltimore Orioles preview click here