With just three games on today’s NBA game-slate, there won’t be a lot of waiver wire options in your fantasy basketball league, but for owners in weekly head-to-head leagues, you may be forced to add one if you’re trying to close out a close matchup.
Tonight’s games include: Cleveland Cavaliers at Sacramento Kings, Atlanta Hawks at Memphis Grizzlies and Minnesota Timberwolves at San Antonio Spurs.
Cavaliers vs. Kings:
- Cavs backup point guard Jarrett Jack is owned in just 26.3 percent of ESPN.com leagues and has a tasty matchup vs. the Kings, who have been the the 5th-worst team vs. opposing point guards this year. After missing two games with a back injury, Jack returned to play against the Jazz, scoring 12 points and dishing out two assists in 26 minutes.
- Derrick Williams has has an up-and-down year since being traded to the Sacramento from Minnesota, but over his last four games he’s averaging 11 points and 3.8 boards. The Cavs are the 25th in the league vs. opposing small forwards. D-Will is owned in just 19.2 percent of ESPN.com leagues
Hawks at Grizzlies:
- Lou Williams has been struggling mightily, but with such a low amount of games today, the Hawks sixth man could be worth adding to your fantasy team. He’s averaging just 6 points over his last five games, but also dishing out 4.2 assists, which could come in handy if you and your opponent are neck and neck in that category. He blew up for 28 points on Dec. 28 and 25 points on Dec. 20, so the big-game capability is there. Sweet Lou is owned in just 16.1 percent of ESPN.com leagues.
- In Marc Gasol‘s absence, the Grizzlies have been trying to put together some makeshift lineups. One key addition has been James Johnson. Since his call-up from the D-League on Dec. 17, the former first-round draft pick by the Bulls is averaging 8.3 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 1.3 steals and even 0.8 three-pointers per game. He can stuff the stat sheet in multiple categories which makes him a good plug-and-play today. J.J. is owned in 8 percent of ESPN.com leagues.
Timberwolves vs. Spurs:
- The Spurs have been dealing with ineffectiveness from Danny Green, as well as Manu Ginobili‘s nagging hamstring injury, and Marco Belinelli has done his best to help fill the void. Ginobili has been ruled out for Sunday’s game and it wouldn’t be crazy to think Belinelli could put up numbers similar to his previous five games: 16.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists. Minnesota is the 5th-worst team in fantasy vs. opposing shooting guards. He’s owned in a mere 8.4 percent of ESPN.com fantasy basketball leagues.
- Corey Brewer is definitely inconsistent, but with so few options to go with today, he could be a major factor in determining the outcome of your fantasy basketball matchup. For the season, the Wolves starting small forward is averaging 11.9 points, 1.7 steals and 1.1 three-pointers per game. Brewer is owned in just 26.3 percent of ESPN.com leagues.