As we get ready for another big week of fantasy hockey, here’s a few tidbits that could help your team out over the course of the next couple of weeks.
– I found it a bit comical that Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steven Stamkos is still available in many leagues. He’s getting close to returning from a broken leg and if he happens to be available in your league, grab him and stash him now. He’s only one of the best fantasy players on the planet and will likely put up great numbers once he returns.
– While you are doing that, also keep an eye on San Jose Sharks forward Logan Coture who should be returning from a broken hand in 2-3 weeks, Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen who is skating and should be returning soon from a concussion and Minnesota Wild forward Mikko Koivu, who should return from an ankle surgery just in time for the Olympic break. It’s always helpful to snag guys that other owners aren’t patient enough to hold onto.
– The schedule can also impact you big time this week, especially if you own a lot of Pittsburgh Penguins as the Pens play only once this week. If you need to fill spots, the Lightning have five contests this week and a couple of their guys could be useful this week in head-to-head leagues. One guy I like in particular is Ondrej Palat, who has recorded points in eight straight games and is now playing on Tampa’s top line.
– Similar to Palat, I also like Washington Capitals forward Eric Fehr. Fehr is now playing alongside Alex Ovechkin on the Caps’ top line and scored twice in a win against the Lightning on Thursday. He didn’t record a point in Washington’s next two games, but if he is going to get ice time with Ovechkin, Fehr may be worth a look in deep leagues.
– Finally if you need a defenseman because of injury, I would look at Boston’s Johnny Boychuk, who may be available in some not-so-deep leagues. Over the past two weeks, only three defensemen have fired more shots on goal than Boychuk. And since Dennis Seidenberg was hurt on Dec. 27. Boychuk has taken 23 of his 76 shots in the past seven games.