Fantasy Baseball: ESPN Mock Draft Review

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse


Mandatory Credit: Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports

There’s nothing like a nice leisurely fantasy baseball mock draft to get primed and ready for the real thing.

While this may be a little late in the draft season to be mocking, the father of an infant quickly learns to take the narrow time slots that open up for eating, showering, writing, prepping for drafts, and occasionally sleeping.

The other day I jumped into an ESPN mock draft with the option to pick second or fourth.  In a real draft I’d prefer the second pick, which gives a 95 percent chance of Miguel Cabrera and a 5 percent chance of Mike Trout.

That being said, fourth is no slouch, offering a 50/50 shot at my third and fourth ranked players: Paul Goldschmidt and Andrew McCutchen.  I love the power that Goldy guarantees and his little bit of speed certainly helps things out.  The Dread Pirate is such a money-in-the-bank five category guy that I’d happily scoop him up as well.

I chose to mock in the fourth spot because it meant that my first pick would be from one of the two deepest positions, meaning I would still be forced to evaluate every position.  What lessons could I learn by taking Miggy and essentially ignoring 3B for the rest of the draft?

The first round went like this, with my picks in italics:

1. Mike Trout OF
2. Miguel Cabrera 3B
3. Andrew McCutchen OF
4. Paul Goldschmidt 1B
5. Carlos Gonzalez OF
6. Chris Davis 1B
7. Adam Jones OF
8. Jacoby Ellsbury OF
9. Robinson Cano 2B
10. Adrian Beltre 3B
11. Edwin Encarnacion 1B
12. Bryce Harper OF

My only major qualm with this round is Ellsbury.  I just can’t get behind investing your No. 1 pick into a speed-first guy when there’s so much speed to be had later in the draft — never mind the fact that his sketchy health is already looking a little questionable.

  • Let it be said that I’m not a huge Chris Davis fan, but if you happen to be a believer then I don’t see how a 50-bomb guy could ever slip out of the first round in our power hungry times.
  • I love Encarnacion this year — I have him on literally all of my teams — and I think that ESPN is the only site that has him properly ranked in the first round.
  • Even though I’d never go starting pitcher in the first I have to admit that I was a little surprised to see no Clayton Kershaw yet.  (This mock was before the recent news about Kershaw’s back ouchies.)
Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Tags: Fantasy Baseball Fantasy Baseball Draft Strategy Miguel Cabrera Paul Goldschmidt