We’ve made it! Football is back, and with that comes the over analyzing of the preseason, trying to find any advantage we can for our upcoming drafts. Many fantasy champions are made in the preseason. From analyzing rookies to scoping out all of the off-season moves, I will try to help you prepare as well. We’re going to start this series by listing key take aways from last night’s bevy of preseason games. Keep checking in throughout the day to see more of my analysis from the first round of preseason games!
Atlanta Falcons vs Miami Dolphins:
- Matty Ice is back! After a disappointing 2013 campaign for the entire Falcons team, Matt Ryan is set to position himself back into the top tier of fantasy QB’s. Matt Ryan was perfect last night going 7 of 7 for 53 yards. Draft him if he falls to you. Matt Ryan’s ceiling is too high to pass up given the fact that he has one of the best wide receiver duos in Julio Jones and Roddy White.
- Speaking of Roddy White, he was targeted 4 times by Matt Ryan, hauling all of them in for 27 yards. Do not shy away from White in drafts. He was a top 10 receiver in the 2012 season with Julio Jones and will have another great season with Jones drawing the attention.
- Devonta Freeman was the third string running back to play, but should slowly climb during the preseason. If he can improve his pass protection, he will definitely be the number two back behind Steven Jackson. Freeman finished with 50 yards on 10 carries, but impressed with great hands, catching a 57 yard pass near the sideline. Watch to see how he progresses throughout preseason, with a fragile Steven Jackson leading the backs, Freeman could be called in at any second.
- Ryan Tannehill was also perfect last night going 6 of 6 for 62 yards and a touchdown. Tannehill really showcased what he can do when his offensive line does not completely fail, He ripped apart the Falcons D. If his offensive live continues to play like this, Tannehill is a viable QB2 option.
- Lamar Miller is taking advantage of Knowshon Moreno‘s injury woes and I fully expect him to start by week 1. Miller ran for 11 yards on four carries, along with catching two balls for eight yards. PPR players take notice, with an ADP that puts him in the middle of the 8th round, Miller could be a steal for this season.